SORRY - THIS PHOTO CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED TO ENTRIES
CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST OPEN TO ENTRY PHOTO CONTESTS
Oceans of Life Photographic Competition
BirdLife South Africa is pleased to announce the opening of the Oceans of Life Photographic competition as part of the Celebrate Our Seas Festival. The competition is open to all photographers from professionals to amateurs. Capture a moment of beautiful marine life, whether that be a plump penguin, ferocious great white, or sleepy seal, and submit it in a digital format on or before 5 September 2014.
The photographs as a celebration of marine life, of course, how amazing nature is, how diverse, beautiful and inspiring it is (and that there’s more to marine biodiversity than protein sources and carbon sinks) But we also use the images to remind ourselves that life is fragile and we need to care for nature as much as we use it. By submitting your images to this photographic competition, you help us in our mission to protect marine environments. The Competition seeks to promote the conservation of marine biodiversity and ecosystems, and responsible use of marine resources, through the inspirational beauty of photography and the associated activities of the Celebrate our Seas Festival. The Competition is owned by the Seabird Conservation Programme of BirdLife South Africa, and is run in partnership with the Utopia agency.
- Creating awareness of the importance and plight of the marine environment targeting the general public and people of influence (teachers, corporates, decision makers etc);
- Changing behaviour- providing people with concrete actions that they can take up to help the marine environment i.e. make it practical;
- Create a groundswell of public demand for change in lifestyles and industry practices;
- Mobilise resources for the Festival in general and conservation research;
- Advocacy and Lobbying initiatives: targeting higher level decision makers for systemic change.
Vision and Values
- For the public to be inspired by ocean life and how important it is to protect, use, sustain and treat responsibly/respectfully;
- To leave with a newfound respect for the ocean, and how it affects me as an individual and the country as a whole in terms of job creation, food security, social issues, socio-economics, livelihoods, sustainability etc.
- To develop an actively engaged society that is informed and inspired towards celebrating and sustaining our oceans.
Contest Prize & TERMS
The Youth category (under 18) prize is a Canon EOS 70D digital camera and EF 18-55 mm lens. ELIGIBILITY: Open to All Not eligible to enter? - Find contest where you are.
COPYRIGHT: Each entry must be the original work of the entrant and must not infringe the rights of any other party. Each entrant must either be the sole owner of the copyright or have secured the written permission of the copyright owner to enter the image into the Competition and grants the Owners the rights detailed below.
The copyright of all submitted images remains with the copyright holder USAGE RIGHTS: By entering the Competition, each entrant grants to the Owners a non-exclusive, irrevocable license to reproduce, publish and communicate to the public by any means and exhibit their awarded image(s) and copies of their awarded image(s) in all media throughout the world in relation to the marine conservation work of the Owner, the Competition and the Exhibition, including but not limited to all use in the context of:
Online display, at low-resolution in an embedded web-viewer application in non-downloadable mode on the Competition website
Display in the Exhibition
Inclusion in the Competition Book
Inclusion in public media (e.g. newspapers and magazines) associated with the promotion of the Competition and/or the Exhibition
Inclusion in promotional, press and marketing materials associated with the Competition and/or the Exhibition
Inclusion in merchandising associated with the Competition and/or the Exhibition
With the exceptions listed above, the Owners will not use images without permission of the copyright owner. Commercial opportunities may arise whereby entrants can benefit from the use or sale of their image: where a potential commercial benefit arises, permission will be sought in advance, and terms and conditions will be agreed in writing between the Owner and the entrant on a case-by-case basis
Want to be updated about contests?
JOIN OVER 99,367 PHOTOGRAPHERS GET PHOTO CONTESTS VIA EMAIL FOR FREE
Just enter your email address below and click 'Get Updates'