Belfast Photo Festival
Festival provides the perfect platform for gaining exposure to an international audience, with previous editions having welcomed over 150,000 visitors from all over the world.
Belfast Photo Festival is offering artists/photographers the opportunity to exhibit their work in the main Festival gallery alongside some of the biggest names in the field of photography and have their work taken on tour to be exhibited at the 2023 Photo Schwiez (Zurich, Switzerland), with a number also having the opportunity to be featured in the arts magazines Abridged and Aesthetica. The winners will be eligible for a number of awards, including a cash prize of £2,000 (e.s.t $2,712 / €2,321).
The theme has been left open to remove any restrictions; submissions must be photographic or lens-based but can include incorporations of other art forms with the photographic medium (i.e. performance, painting, sculpture, music, literature etc).\
Individuals and collectives are welcome to apply; individuals should select and enter between 1 and 15 photographs from a particular series or body of work AND/OR submit their Photo-book for exhibition by providing a link to a single PDF (stored on for example: Google Drive or Dropbox)
(Note: You can submit both a photo-book and photographs of the same project, but a fee will need to be paid for both. If submitting only a photo-book and not photographs, it will be your photo-book that will be selected for presentation and not photographic prints for exhibition)
Collectives are also welcome to apply; as a collective, you can submit up to 15 photographs (a €23 / €29 submission fee will apply for every 15 images submitted)
Contest Prize & TERMS
- Submission review by Photo Industry Professionals Opportunities for Immediate Exposure (e.g. across festival / partner social networks and websites)
Between 20 and 40 photographers / artists will benefit from:
- Awards and cash prizes (See Awards listed below)
- Exhibition exposure at the Festival's main city centre gallery
- Exhibition exposure at the 2025 Photo Schwiez Festival (Switzerland)
- Inclusion in the special Festival issue of Abridged Magazine
- Long term Festival representation and promotion
- An opportunity to participate in an Instagram Residency
- Exhibition alongside some of the biggest photographic names as part of the major photographic event
- Publication and inclusion in the Festival programme
- Inclusion in the Festival’s award winning marketing & PR campaign, which has an estimated reach of 30+ million
- International press exposure
- Being seen by over 80,000 visitors, including a substantial number of visual arts professionals and the media
- Dedicated feature on the Festival website and online gallery
- All finalists who submitted photographs will have their work produced by the Festival for exhibition outdoors at no cost to the photographer/artist
- Spotlight Award – £2,000 (e.s.t $2,712 / €2,321)
- Years Free RPS Membership – Free membership for one year to the prestigious Royal Photographic Society
- Abridged Editorial Award – Presentation in a special Festival issue of Abridged Magazine
- Aesthetica Editorial Award – Full editorial presentation in an upcoming printed/digital issue of Aesthetica international art and culture magazine Not eligible to enter? - Find contest where you are.
COPYRIGHT: At no point does Belfast Photo Festival require artists to sign over the copyright of their work and therefore artists obtain all copyrights to their work at all times.
However, by submitting their works the artist agrees that Belfast Photo Festival and it’s affiliated Sponsors/Funders and Partners can use their works in magazines or books, on websites, social media platforms and Belfast Photo Festival newsletters, or in any other medium, at Authorised Parties' discretion. Artists and photographers will be credited for their works. USAGE RIGHTS: All selected entries may be published by Belfast Photo Festival or affiliated
Sponsors/Funders and Partners (the “Authorised Parties”) in magazines or books, on websites, or in any other medium, at Authorised Parties discretion. Such use will be restricted to promotion, publicity, news, or informational education or awareness usage of Belfast Photo Festival.
By participating, all selected applicants grant Belfast Photo Festival and its Authorised Parties usage of images and acknowledge that any Festival and Authorised Party may use the entries and a name credit in any media before, during and after, without restriction in relation to the uses stated above. The Belfast Photo Festival and Authorised Parties will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use.
Want to be updated about contests?
JOIN OVER 84,000 PHOTOGRAPHERS GET PHOTO CONTESTS VIA EMAIL FOR FREE
Just enter your email address below and click 'Get Updates'