SORRY - THIS PHOTO CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED TO ENTRIES
CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST OPEN TO ENTRY PHOTO CONTESTS
13th Annual Smithsonian.com Photo Contest
Smithsonian.com’s 2015 Photo Contest is open for entries now and ends November 30.
The following six contest categories are drawn from subjects of special interest to Smithsonian.com:
1. Natural World: Animals, plants and landscapes; geological or climatological features; and scientific processes and endeavors.
2. Travel: Locales, peoples or activities in the United States and abroad that convey a sense of place.
3. People: Individuals from all walks of life.
4. The American Experience: Events, objects or activities connecting the American people to their history or their cultural heritage; photographs that tell us what it means to be an American and provide a sense of what it is like to live in this country.
5. Altered Images: Photographs manipulated for artistic purposes by applying digital and/or traditional special effects (i.e., colorizing, toning, collage, photo composites, HDR, etc.).
6. Mobile: The Smithsonian will award a prize to the best photograph submitted in any of the other categories that was taken with a mobile device (phone or tablet).
7. In addition this year features a seventh category, Sustainable Travel, made possible through the support of United Eco-Skies. The award for this category, the Eco-Skies Sustainable Travel Leadership Award, recognizes a photographer who demonstrates leadership and an active commitment to travel for environmentally responsible purposes, generating positive social, economic, or environmental outcomes in the local communities traveled to and ensuring the destination remains an attractive place to live, work and visit for future generations. Examples of sustainable travel projects include:
· Environmental conservation and reforestation
· Eco-construction and restoration projects
· Local community enrichment and empowerment volunteering
· Environmental awareness and education
· Exemplary eco-conscious visitor behavior
Entries in this seventh category should address the question: What does a sustainable travel project look like to you? Entries also must be accompanied by a 100-word or less photo caption describing the photo’s content and story behind the photo. Note: Entrants in this category will also be automatically entered in the main Travel photo contest category.
To be eligible for any category, a photograph must have been shot by the entrant since January 1, 2013.
Contest Prize & TERMS
Grand Prize winner: $2,500
Category winners: $500
Readers' Choice winner: $500
Mobile Photography winner: $500
United EcoSkies Sustainable Travel Leadership Award: Two economy round-trip tickets for travel between United States, Caribbean, Mexico and Central America. Not eligible to enter? - Find contest where you are.
COPYRIGHT: You retain your rights to your photograph. USAGE RIGHTS: By entering the contest, entrants grant the Smithsonian Institution a royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual, non-exclusive license to display, distribute, reproduce and create derivative works of the entries, in whole or in part, in any media now existing or subsequently developed, for any educational, promotional, publicity, exhibition, archival, scholarly and all other standard Smithsonian purposes. Any photograph reproduced will include a photographer credit as feasible.
Want to be updated about contests?
JOIN OVER 100,420 PHOTOGRAPHERS GET PHOTO CONTESTS VIA EMAIL FOR FREE
Just enter your email address below and click 'Get Updates'