The 2013 World Press Photo ExhibitionApril 3, 2013
The 2013 World Press Photo Exhibition can be seen from 26 April until 23 June in Amsterdam. This traveling exhibition, unique in its kind, is the result of a worldwide annual contest on press photography.
Each year, an independent international jury, consisting of 19 members, judges the entries in nine different categories, submitted by photojournalists, agencies, newspapers and magazines from all corners of the world. The 56th annual competition attracted 5,666 photographers from 124 countries, and in total 103,481 images were entered in the contest.
The World Press Photo exhibition will be first on display in ‘De Oude Kerk’ in Amsterdam and will then tour around the world. With around 100 local exhibitions produced every year, the World Press Photo exhibition tour of prize-winning photographs is the most popular traveling photo event in the world. This year’s exhibition contains more than 140 photographs, comprising the year’s winning photo, together with award-winning images from each of the nine contest categories such as General news, Sports, and Nature.
Furthermore, for the 2013 exhibition tour, World Press Photo will offer a free and updated mobile Exhibition Guide. This application, which is available for both iOS and Android smartphones, offers guests the chance to hear and see more information about the exhibited photographs. The Exhibition Guide app enhances the user’s experience by allowing them to listen to captions, see photographer portraits, and learn more about the equipment used. After their visit, guests can view their favorite photos and continue the experience online. The Exhibition Guide can be downloaded throughout the 2013 exhibition season from the World Press Photo website: http://www.worldpressphoto.org/app
Extra exhibition: ‘The Russian Grand Prix’
To mark the Year of Russia in the Netherlands, the exhibition will be accompanied by ‘The Russian Grand Prix’: an exhibition presented by Russ Press Photo, featuring the work of 90 World Press Photo winners from Russia and the Soviet Union. This separate exhibition is included in the entrance fee.
Visitors information Amsterdam
· Dates: 26 April – 23 June 2013
· Location: De Oude Kerk, Oudekerksplein, Amsterdam
· Opening hours: Monday t/m Saturday, from 10.30 to 17.30, Sunday from 13.00 to 17.30. Closed on Queensday, 30 April.
· Entrance fee: €8,00 (adults) and €6,00 (kids until 12 years, 65+, Stadspas, CJP and student cards). For I Amsterdam Card- and Museum card holders €3,00. The entrance ticket gives access to the World Press Photo and the ‘Russian Grand Prix’ exhibitions.
· Guided tours for the World Press Photo exhibition are possible in English or Dutch, and only upon request: from Monday till Saturday from 10.30 to 16.00 and on Sunday from 13.00 to 16.00. For bookings and further information, please write to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The free mobile Exhibition Guide with spoken captions, photographer portraits and equipment information is available for download as of 26 April: www.worldpressphoto.org/app
You can find further information on the exhibition here: