2013 WORLD PRESS PHOTO CONTEST LIST OF JURY MEMBERSNovember 26, 2012
World Press Photo is proud to present the full list of jury members of the 2013 World Press Photo Contest. This group of 19 internationally recognized professionals in the field of photojournalism and documentary photography will gather in Amsterdam, headed by Gary Knight, from 1 until 15 February 2013. The results of the contest will be announced on 15 February 2013.
The annual World Press Photo Contest, now in its 56th year, is universally recognized as the world’s leading international contest for photojournalists, setting the standard for the profession. The contest draws entries by professional press photographers, photojournalists and documentary photographers from across the world, with 5,247 photographers from 124 countries participating last year with 101,254 pictures submitted.
The judging is conducted at the World Press Photo office in Amsterdam, where all the submitted entries are presented anonymously to the jury members, who discuss and debate their merits over a period of two weeks. The jury operates independently, and a secretary without voting rights safeguards a fair procedure.
The first week of judging
The judging process is led by a jury chair. During the first week of judging, the jury chair is joined by five other jury members and a secretary in the news and documentary category. At the same time, the specialized juries for Nature, Portraits and Sports gather to judge their respective categories. The chair of each specialized jury is joined by two other jury members and a secretary during the first week of judging, for the first two rounds of the categories.
The following professionals will be judging the first week:
News & documentary:
Chair: Gary Knight, UK, founder photographer VII Photo Agency
- Monica Allende, Spain, photo editor The Sunday Times Magazine
- Rena Effendi, Azerbaijan, photographer
- Santiago Lyon, USA, vice president and director of photography The Associated Press
- Riason Naidoo, South Africa, director South African National Gallery, Iziko Museums of South Africa
Sports: 1st and 2nd round of judging
Chair: Bill Frakes, USA, photographer Sports Illustrated
- Anja Niedringhaus, Germany, photographer The Associated Press
- Pim Ras, the Netherlands, freelance photographer Algemeen Dagblad
Nature: 1st and 2nd round of judging
Chair: Staffan Widstrand, Sweden, photographer and managing director Wild Wonders of Europe
- Barbara Stauss, Switzerland, photo director and founding member Mare magazine
- Steve Winter, USA, contributing photographer National Geographic magazine
Portraits: 1st and 2nd round of judging
Chair: Elisabeth Biondi, Germany/USA, independent curator
- Jérôme Bonnet, France, photographer
- Platon, UK, photographer CLM/David Maloney
During the second week of judging, the three specialized jury chairs join the general jury to ensure continuity in the categories they represent. The general jury members from the first week are replaced with a new group of judges, overseen by the jury chair. The judges end the second week of judging with the announcement of winners.
The jury of the final rounds consists of:
- Gary Knight, UK, founder photographer VII Photo Agency
- Elisabeth Biondi, Germany/USA, independent curator
- Bill Frakes, USA, photographer Sports Illustrated
- Staffan Widstrand, Sweden, photographer and managing director Wild Wonders of Europe
- Ghaith Abdul-Ahad, Iraq, special correspondent The Guardian
- Mayu Mohanna, Peru, photographer and curator
- Véronique de Viguerie, France, photographer Reportage by Getty Images
- Anne Wilkes Tucker, USA, curator photography Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
- Gu Zheng, China, professor at School of Journalism, Fudan University, Shanghai
The secretary for the News and Documentary categories and for the second week of judging is:
- Daphné Anglès, France/USA, European photo assignments editor The New York Times
The secretary for the specialized categories Nature, Portraits and Sports is:
- Simon Njami, Cameroon, independent curator, lecturer and art critic
You can find the biographies of the 2013 Photo Contest jury here:
For further information on the photo contest set-up, please visit:
How to enter the contest
The 2013 World Press Photo Contest will be open for participants to enter their work in the first week of December. The deadline for submissions is 17 January 2013, 23.59 CET. Entries may only be submitted online via the World Press Photo entry website. A user name and password are required to enter and can be requested from December 2012 onwards. The deadline for requesting a user name and password is 11 January 2013, 23.59 CET.
Please visit: for further details on the contest.
The results of the 2013 World Press Photo Contest will be announced on 15 February 2013. The prize-winning pictures are presented in an exhibition that travels through more than 100 cities in over 45 countries, to start in Amsterdam at the end of April 2013.
World Press Photo receives support from the Dutch Postcode Lottery and is sponsored worldwide by Canon.