Sony World Photography Awards 2011 Open winnersMarch 22, 2011
Ten extraordinary amateur photographers are today, Tuesday 22 March, announced as the Open category winners of the 2011 Sony World Photography Awards.
Beating competition from over 51,000 submissions from 148 counties, the winners are:
- Action: Chan Kwok Hung (Hong Kong)
- · After Dark: Chumlong Nilkon (Thailand)
- · Architecture: Marek Troszczynski (Poland)
- · Arts & Culture: Hubert Januar (Indonesia)
- · Fashion: Edina Csoboth (Hungary)
- · Nature & Wildlife: Andiyan Lutfi (Indonesia)
- · Panoramic: Wolfgang Weinhardt (Germany)
- · People: Raghuranjan Sarkar (India)
- · Smile: Carlos Henrique Reinesch (Brazil)
- · Travel: James Chong (Singapore)
All the winning images will be exhibited as part of the World Photography Festival at London’s Somerset House from 26 April – 22 May alongside the winners of the Sony World Photography Awards Professional competition. The photographs will also be published in the Winner’s Book and each winning Open photographer will receive Sony digital SLR camera equipment as part of their prize.
The overall winner of the Sony World Photography Awards Open Photographer of the Year title will be announced on 27 April at a gala ceremony held at the Odeon Leicester Square in London. They will receive a $5,000 cash prize as well as Sony digital SLR camera equipment and will be brought to London to collect their award.
Also at the ceremony, the winner of the coveted L’Iris D’Or / Sony World Photography Awards Photographer of the Year will be announced. They will receive $25,000 and professional Sony digital SLR camera equipment. The final presentation of the night will be in honour of the recipient of the Outstanding Contribution to Photography.
View the wining images here