SORRY - THIS PHOTO CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED TO ENTRIES
CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST OPEN TO ENTRY PHOTO CONTESTS
Crisis and Opportunity: Documenting the Global Recession
In the spirit of the Works Progress Administration (WPA) of the New Deal in the 1930s, when photographers documented the hardship and proposed solutions, SocialDocumentary.net (SDN) is issuing a Call for Entries. We are looking for photo essays that provide insight into how ordinary citizens around the world are coping during these new “hard times” and how individuals, companies, industries, family businesses, communities, and governments are responding to the crisis.
We encourage a broad definition of the global recession. Suggested stories include those of people losing their jobs, homes, and health benefits; or the effects on vulnerable communities in conflict zones, global climate change; or how the UN’s millennium goals in economic development and health improvement have been stalled by lack of resources. We are also interested in how people and governments are working to overcome these challenges in creative ways such as agricultural development; wind, solar and other alternative energies; public health programs to stop the spread of disease; or technological innovations to reduce greenhouse gases and dependence on oil. These are just examples. We welcome new stories and approaches to documenting this important topic.
DEADLINE EXTENDED TO 7TH DECEMBER 2009
Contest Prize & TERMS
* A $1,500 cash prize. * Exhibition of their work in a group show with other winners at powerHouse Arena in Brooklyn, NY, from February 15 to March14, 2010. SDN to pay for all reproduction, and hanging fees.
* Invitation to participate on a panel discussion at the opening night reception at powerHouse Arena on February 16, 2010. (photographer will need to cover their travel expenses).
* Exhibit featured in exhibition catalog printed by Meridian Printing, the leading printer of photography books in North America.
* A featured exhibit on the SDN home page for two weeks and features in email spotlights.
* A LowePro Vertex 300 AW backpack. Honorable Mention: Three photographers will be awarded:
* Exhibition of some of their winning work at powerHouse Arena in Brooklyn, NY in a group show from February 15-March 14, 2010. SDN to pay for all reproduction, and hanging fees.
* Exhibit included in exhibition catalog.
* Winning work featured on the website of SocialDocumentary.net and in email spotlights.
* A LowePro Fastpack 350 backpack.
All the winning photo essays will be published in a catalog that will be available for sale at powerHouse books, launched at the opening reception on February 16, 2010. Competition winners will each receive five complimentary copies. ELIGIBILITY: Anyone. International. Not eligible to enter? - Find contest where you are.
COPYRIGHT: Photographers must hold copyright to images.
Want to be updated about contests?
JOIN OVER 101,554 PHOTOGRAPHERS GET PHOTO CONTESTS VIA EMAIL FOR FREE
Just enter your email address below and click 'Get Updates'