SORRY - THIS PHOTO CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED TO ENTRIES
CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST OPEN TO ENTRY PHOTO CONTESTS
i:click photography competition
Snap up a digital SLR camera in a national photography competition. Sightsavers’ i:click photography awards 2009 launch -From hand gestures, to body shapes, the raise of an eyebrow to an affectionate greeting – young people across the UK are being challenged to try and creatively capture, through photography, moments in time when actions speak louder than words. For the second year running, students aged 11-18 are being invited to enter the national i:click photography awards being run by international disability agency Sightsavers International.
By focusing on this year’s theme of body language, Sightsavers hopes students will be encouraged to think about how a person’s body language is something that sighted people sometimes take for granted. If you are visually impaired you can’t always pick up on nonverbal communications. Sightsavers works in over 30 developing countries to treat and prevent avoidable blindness and to also improve life for those who are irreversibly blind. 45 million people in the world are blind, yet a staggering 75% of all blindness can be prevented or cured.
Jo Mitchell, Schools Development Manager for Sightsavers International, commented: “Following last year’s successful launch Sightsavers is really excited to be challenging young people across the UK to think about sight through photography. I am looking forward to seeing how the theme of ‘body language’ is interpreted and developed into an exhibition helping us to raise awareness of the scale of preventable blindness in the world.”
Three national winners, one from each category (11-14 years, 15-16 years and 17-18 years),
will be selected from a list of regional winners. The three lucky winners will each receive a digital SLR camera and enjoy a day out at an awards ceremony in London in the autumn, where their winning image will be the focus of an exhibition showcasing the regional winners’ photographs. In addition, the winners and their teachers will attend a photography workshop with a professional photographer.
Rules and regulations:
1. You can enter online at www.sightsavers.org/iclick or you can send your images in on a disc to Schools team, i:click Competition, Sightsavers International, Grosvenor Hall, Bolnore Road, Haywards Heath, West Sussex, RH16 4BX
Prizes will be awarded for photos that, in the opinion of the judges, most effectively and creatively explore the theme. Judges will be considering:
– How the photo relates to the theme of ‘body language’
– Originality and creativity
– Effective composition
– Boldness, unusual angles and the overall framing of the picture
– Sharpness of the image
– Quality and strength of light
– Photos may be adjusted within reason, using photo editing software (e.g. red-eye reduction), but judges would prefer to see original work so please bear this mind.
Schools, colleges, youth clubs and individuals interested in participating in the awards can access all the necessary information at www.sightsavers.org/iclick or by contacting the i:click awards helpline on 01444 446727. Entries must be submitted by 9th October 2009. Winning photos will be exhibited at the.gallery@oxo on London’s South Bank from 10th December 2009 – 10th January 2010.
– Sightsavers International is a registered UK charity (Registered charity numbers 207544 and SC038110) that works in more than 30 developing countries to prevent blindness, restore sight and advocate for social inclusion and equal rights for people who are blind and visually impaired. www.sightsavers.org
– There are 45 million blind people in the world; 75% of all blindness can be prevented or cured.
– Since 1950, Sightsavers has restored sight to more than 5.65 million people and treated over 100 million more.
– Donations to support Sightsavers’ work can be made using the 24-hour donation line (0800 089 2020) or via www.sightsavers.org
Contest Prize & TERMS
…A brand new digital camera
…Your photo showcased in a prestigious London gallery
…A professional photography workshop
…An awards day in London
COPYRIGHT: The copyright of your photo remains yours but Sightsavers shall be entitled to reproduce, publish or make use of any entry free of charge.
Want to be updated about contests?
JOIN OVER 101,648 PHOTOGRAPHERS GET PHOTO CONTESTS VIA EMAIL FOR FREE
Just enter your email address below and click 'Get Updates'